FAQs for 2016 Admissions
1. 1. What is the difference between PGDM/PGDHM and MBA?
PGDHM expands to Post Graduate Diploma in Hospital and Health Management, the confusion starts when you see the term Diploma. Many students are of the view that it is a Diploma course and not a Degree; you are right to an extent that it is a Diploma. The main reason why postgraduate courses are named as PG Diploma is because when an Institute is an autonomous body (meaning it is not affiliated to any University) and conducts management courses then such Institutes cannot offer MBA degree. Even IIMs, XLRI’s doesn’t offer MBA degrees they only give PGP Diploma or PGDM since they are autonomous and independent bodies.
When an Institute secures autonomy they design their own curriculum to be taught instead of following outdated University syllabus. The reason why they chose to do is because the curriculum can be updated regularly depending on the need in Industry. Hence one can say that PGDM/PGDHM courses are more Industry relevant as compared to MBA courses.
Colleges which offer AICTE approved courses will also offer PG Diploma not MBA, for example XYZ College is affiliated to ABC University they offer MBA course affiliated to that University, the same college is offering AICTE approved course it means they are offering PGDM which is not linked to ABC University.
Typically if any PGDM/PGDHM is to be equivalent to MBA then the course duration should be 2 years, a 1 year PGDM/PGDHM will not be equal to MBA course.
- Only universities can offer MBA: In India only those management institutes which are affiliated to a university can offer an MBA degree. Also IIMs, though being the best of the lot, can’t offer MBAs as they are not affiliated with any university. Institutes which are not affiliated to university are autonomous and can offer PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management)/ PGDHM degree. However, these programmes are approved by regulatory bodies such as AICTE.
- Difference in focus of curriculum: While there are huge similarities in the curriculum of both MBA and PGDM/PGDHM, there are finer points of difference. While MBA focuses more on theoretical aspects of management and is more exam-oriented, PGDM/PGDHM has a focus on building soft skills and is industry-oriented. It prepares you for the job market.
- Curriculum of PGDM/PGDHM is flexible: Since an autonomous institute does not have to follow university standards, it is free to change its curriculum according to industry standards and change in business environment. Also a PGDM/PGDHM gives you an industry exposure. Whereas it will take time to change the curriculum for MBAs as it is affiliated with a university and it will essentially follow the university guidelines and changing this curriculum is a very slow process.
- MBAs are more affordable: In compared to PGDM/PGDHM, generally MBAs are more affordable as the fee is almost similar to university standard.
- Difference in focus: An MBA will help in developing technical skills and business knowledge whereas a PGDM/PGDHM will prepare graduates for senior level positions in industry and paves the way for a strong corporate career. Hence, if you’re looking for a career in the challenging area of management, you should go for PGDM/PGDHM.
2. What are the courses offered by IIHMR Bangalore?
IIHMR Bangalore offers a two-year full-time PGDHM (Post Graduate Diploma in Hospital & Health management with specializations in
- Hospital Management
- Health Management
- Health Information Technology
In the first year; students would study the common subjects related to hospital and health management. In the second year students would study the specialization subjects which ever they are opting for.
3.Who are eligible to apply for this programme?
Any graduate can apply for this programme provided he or she has a minimum 50% of aggregate marks in their graduation and they should have any one of valid CAT, MAT, XAT, ATMA or CMAT entrance exam score card. Graduates who have a minimum of 2 years work experience are exempted from taking entrance exams and can directly apply for this course.
4. What is the admission procedure?
First you need to apply for PGDHM either online or manually. Once we receive your application; we shall verify and inform you whether your application is accepted by us or not. After accepting your application; we shall call for GD/PI (Group Discussion & Personal Interview) to test your communication skills, knowledge, confidence level, etc. Based on your performance in GD/PI; you will be offered admission. Once you get the scan copy of your admission letter by email; then within 10 days you have to pay your first installment fee and confirm your admission; failing which your admission offer would be cancelled.
5. What kind of preparation do I need to make for the Group Discussion / Personal Interview?
GD/PI is a process to test your communication skill and knowledge. Since PGDHM is a unique programme related to hospital and health sector; we would want to know from you that how much passionate you are to contribute and work in hospital and health sector. You should have a strong reason why you want to do this PGDHM programme.
6. I am not from medical background. Will this course help me?
We had and have students from both medical and non-medical backgrounds. Actually this course PGDHM at IIHMR helps to fulfill the dreams of non-medical graduates who wants to contribute and work in hospital and health management sector. Later, with scarcity of jobs for medical related background graduates; those medical graduates also started applying for this programme to work in management of hospitals and healthcare organisations. IIHMR, Bangalore focuses on management aspects and not into medical or science. Hence, graduates from any background can apply for this programme who wants to work or contribute in hospital and health sector.
7. I am confused with MBA at IIHMR, Jaipur and PGDHM at IIHMR, Bangalore and IIHMR, Delhi. Which would be a better option for me?
Even though terminologies differ like MBA and PGDHM; all IIHMR branches are the same. The same curriculum is followed across all the 3 branches. Faculties, Industry Interface, summer trainings, internships and placements are also same across the 3 branches of IIHMR. IIHMR, Jaipur also uses to offer PGDHM only; now couple of years back IIHMR, Jaipur has become an university. IIHMR, Bangalore and IIHMR, Delhi continues to be autonomous Institutes approved by AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education). PGDHM or MBA; whichever you choose and study; would be treated as the same during your campus placements.
Depending on your location or your favorite destination to study and carry beautiful memories of two years; you can decide which branch of IIHMR you want to apply to.
7. What advantages IIHMR, Bangalore have compared to IIHMR, Jaipur and IIHMR, Delhi?
IIHMR, Bangalore is the 1st educational Institute in India to be NABET certified for Hospital and Healthcare consulting on NABH standards.
IIHMR, Bangalore has collaboration with Maastricht University, Netherlands to improve health management education and research activities.
IIHMR, Bangalore is ranked as “Top Management College of the year 2015” in Hospital and Health Management education by Higher education review.
Apart from education; students love staying and studying in Bangalore because of climate, IT hub (known as Silicon Valley), a lot of places to enjoy and hangout with buddies, beautiful gardens, etc. To know more about Bangalore: click here.
9. Can I get education loan for PGDHM and how can I get?
Yes. You can get education loan for PGDHM from all the leading banks across India. It is always better to check and apply for education loan in the bank where you or your parents are banking and have good transaction records. Most of the banks give 100% course fee of PGDHM as loan.
Banks would ask for a set of documents which needs to be submitted by you as well as from IIHMR, Bangalore. Once you pay your first installment fee; and become bonafide student of IIHMR, Bangalore; then we shall give a set of documents as required by bank to process your education loan.
10. How are the placements at IIHMR, Bangalore?
IIHMR, Bangalore has MOU’s with leading hospitals, healthcare companies, Health IT companies, NGO’s, etc. for summer trainings, internships and placements across India and abroad also. Majority of the students get placed in campus placements during their study of PGDHM. Many students get placed at the beginning of 4th semester itself.
IIHMR, Bangalore has 100% placement track record. Many students get multiple offers from hospitals and healthcare companies; then students make the choice of which offer they want to choose. Students completing this program are expected to occupy positions of managers and leadership in hospital, healthcare management, Health IT, Insurance Sector, etc.
11.Where is the Institute located?
IIHMR, Campus is located at Electronic City Phase 1, Bangalore.
12. How old is IIHMR, Bangalore and PGDHM programme?
IIHMR, Bangalore was established in the year 2004; as the South campus of IIHMR Group of Institutions to cater the needs of students as well as Hospital and Healthcare companies. PGDHM was introduced almost 20 years back at IIHMR, Jaipur; with overwhelming response by students as well as recruiters the same PGDHM programme was replicated across all branches of IIHMR Group of Institutions.
Initially at IIHMR, Bangalore we use to offer one year PGDHM certification programme. Our Alumni who have taken that course are doing well in leading hospitals and healthcare companies. Later in the year 2010, IIHMR, Bangalore got AICTE approval and from then IIHMR, Bangalore offers 2 years full time AICTE approved PGDHM.
13.What is the last date for Application submission for 2016?
29th July 2016
14.Does the Institute provide Hostel facility?
Yes. We provide hostel facility with food, wifi and cable TV.
15. Do you provide some transportation if I am a day Scholar?
We provide transportation only from Wipro gate No. 10(Electronic city phase 1 bus depot) to Institute and back to Wipro Gate. Public transportation/buses from Wipro Gate connect to various areas of the City.
16. If I discontinue the course in the middle or do not join the course, will my deposited tuition fee be refunded?
As per Institution’s refund policy. You can check with our academic office.
17.Which are the hospitals and other companies coming for campus recruitments?
Delloitte, Mission Hospital, Durgapur, Nationwide, NRHM Gujarat, NRHM Karnataka, NRHM Bihar, Apollo Hospitals, Fortis Hospital, Attune Live Technologies, DHAN Foundation, Manipal Hospital, Octavo Solutions, Davita, Cloudnine Hospital, Columbia Asia Hospital, Sterling Hospital, Wocard Hospital, Pulic Health Foundation of India, Dell Technologies, TTK Health care, HDFC Ergo General Insurance, Cognizant Technologies, Insta Health Solutions, Vidal Healthcare, Narayana Health, Protea Medicals are some of our regular recruiters.
18. When can I choose the specialization in PGDHM?
You will have to decide the specialization before proceeding on summer training which usually happens at the end of 1st year. By then you would be in a better position to understand and decide which specialization to go for after interacting with faculties, Industry mentors, our Alumni, etc.
19.I have concerns about safety on campus. What are the security measures?
Security arrangements exist in Campus and Hostel. Electronic City is a secure environment, round the clock security is provided in the campus.
20.Can the Final year students or students awaiting their final year results apply for the PGDHM programme?
Yes. They can undergo admission process and confirm their admission. IIHMR, Bangalore shall give provisional admission for such candidates. Students should submit all the required documents and mark sheets within two months of commencement of the course.
21. How can I check the status of my application?
IIHMR, Bangalore’s admission cell will contact you via email or phone and update you about the status of your application. You can also call and check by dialing +91 96638 66011 about the status of your application.
22.I have further queries about the program. Who should I contact?
For general queries and other information about the program, contact us on Email: email@example.com, Mobile: +91 96638 66011. Phone: 080-30533800.